Saturday, February 15, 2014

Texture Projects

I recently introduced the art element of texture to my Kindergarten classes. I began by passing around different items (cotton, sand paper, etc.) and we discussed how each different item felt. I then described how in art there are two types of texture, actual and visual.

For our first project we worked with visual texture. The students used plastic textured templates to rub with crayons underneath their paper. They were so excited as the patterns became visible. I also encouraged them to use as many different colors as possible and cover all of the white spaces on their papers.

The next part of this project I actually saw via Pinterest, and it really worked out great with the students. I passed out small pieces of clay that were to be rolled into balls. The students then pressed them into their plastic templates to see and feel the texture. We then glued the clay onto the papers. It was really an awesome way for the kids to see both actual and visual textures. 


For our next project, I wanted to start using more clay. At the beginning of class I read the book The Mitten by Jan Brett. We talked about each animal and how it would feel. My favorite animal in that book is the hedgehog, and what a great animal to discuss with texture! 

I demonstrated for the students how to roll and pinch the bodies of their clay hedgehogs. Eyes and toothpicks were then pressed in. During the second class, we painted them. I absolutely love how each one looks so different! 

                       
Both my students and myself loved this project. They are hilarious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment