Thursday, June 5, 2014

Crazy Splatter Painted Hair

I really love doing abstract art work with younger grades. Most of them are not afraid to jump right in and explore with colors. This year I wanted to try something new with my second graders and this lesson is what inspired me: Art Projects for Kids.

To introduce the lesson I read the book "I Aint Gonna Paint No More" by Karen Beaumont. The book has great splatter painted illustrations and is bright with patterns and color.

After the story the students and I discussed the different facial expressions and emotions associated with them. I prompted them with the question, "How does art make you feel?" Based on that question, the students began drawing an expression of their choice at the bottom of their paper.

The rest of the paper was saved for the best part- splatter painting! Straws were used to drip paint near the top of the portraits head and the paint was then blown upwards. When the paint was dry, the students finished coloring their background and wrote a sentence about their chosen expression or feeling.

           

           

           

My students and myself loved this project so much. I feel like it could be done in a variety of ways and can be adapted for other grade levels. I even used these in the final school art show because they were so funny! The students different personalities can really be seen in each individual portrait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment