Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Cultural Identity

Wow, it has been a very long time since I have been involved in the blogging world! About a year to be exact, and it has been an exciting year to say the least.

I have moved from the International Programs School of Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia to the EtonHouse International School of Wuxi, China. Besides moving to a new country, I have also been busy learning how to use the International Baccalaureate program for MYP, PYP, and Early Years students. It has been an interesting transition and I feel as though I have grown immensely in my approach to teaching visual arts through out the year. I am excited to start sharing my lessons again and I am so proud of my students' creative works of art!

My MYP 2-3 students just wrapped up their final unit of the year. While investigating a variety of cultures around the world, the students were also discussing cultural identity and how that is represented through different forms of art. They researched a variety of of cultural costumes, masks, and body art and infused their findings into a final piece. The final work was a mask made out of chosen materials (plaster, cardboard or clay) that combined elements of cultural identity from different parts of the globe.

This is an example from a student's process journal with their unit title page and cultural research. 


After the research was complete, students used inspiration from their investigation to start a series of designs for their final product. When the final design was decided, the initial drawing was developed into further detail and materials were chosen as shown below. 


Once the final design was complete, students began creating their mask with the medium of their choice. This student decided to work with clay and acrylic paints. The results were fantastic!



Here are a few more examples of students' final work made with clay, cardboard, or plaster.




The students and myself really enjoyed this unit. I personally love cultural art and collect masks among other things during my travels. I was able to bring in those items and share with the class, which sparked even more creativity as well as student discussion. The MYP 2-3 class worked very hard and each them have a unique piece as a final product! 

No comments:

Post a Comment