Saturday, September 12, 2015

Magic Sandbox & Clay Sculptures



I love sensory play, It makes me wish I could be four years old again. I suppose it's a good thing I am able to spend my days teaching, playing, and learning right along side my cheerful reception class!

The first few sessions of art with my new group of four year-olds has been so much fun. I am slowly introducing line, shape, and color while also teaching how to use materials and art tools appropriately.

On the first day of class we talked about line and took turns making up our own lines in my "Magic Sandbox." I poured salt over colored paper that had been glued down in a recycled box. When the students press their finger in the salt to "draw" the colors underneath show through. They absolutely love it!


 After playing in our "sandbox" the students worked on making and matching lines with pipe cleaners. It was a great activity for them to build up their fine motor skills.



We then put that bending, folding, and tying to good use by creating some sculptures! The students were given a small piece of clay that they rolled into a ball and stuck with as many kinds of lines as they could think of. They really enjoyed it and every student came up with something unique. 

The next class session the clay was dry and the students painted their lovely open ended line sculptures. We also reviewed how to take care of paintbrushes and practiced a bit of color mixing. 


I am so proud of my little artists! 


Here are a few examples of their finished sculptures!


No comments:

Post a Comment