Monday, November 16, 2015

Day of the Dead

I love teaching about cultural arts and I am currently linking my PYP 2 unit with their classroom Unit of Inquiry (UOI). Their UOI is focusing on celebrations with the trans-disciplinary theme of How We Express Ourselves.

What a perfect time of the year to investigate cultural celebrations! We started off the unit mid October, discussing how and why people celebrate. I introduced my students to Day of the Dead with pictures and related videos. I made sure to explain that it is not meant to be a scary holiday, but a celebration for people we love and care about who are no longer with us. The students were fascinated by the decorated altars, costumes, and sugar skulls (calaveras)! We had great discussions with all of their inquiries and stories about people in their own families who had passed away. 

After our story telling and viewing a variety of sugar skull examples, we began reviewing pattern and symmetry. Our first activity began when I passed around A3 size print outs of the students' faces. (I had taken their pictures the week before!) When the students realized they were turning themselves into decorated sugar skulls, they couldn't stop giggling! (to find the original lesson I was inspired by for this activity, click here and scroll to the bottom: https://tinyartroom.wordpress.com/tag/fifth-grade/page/2/)




So much fun!!

Our next class period consisted of review and a further discussion on pattern and symmetry. I demonstrated for the students how to fold their paper in half and cut a skull shape so that when opened, it would be symmetrical. The students practiced this at their seats and began using patterns to create a sugar skull collage.








The finished collages are now in the hallway and have been admired by staff and parents. So proud of my PYP 2 students! 

No comments:

Post a Comment