Sunday, December 13, 2015

Kusama Pumpkins

My PYP 3 class was introduced to the art element of value by none other than a pumpkin. Yes, a pumpkin. I love everything about pumpkins and of course the season of fall! The cool weather, bright warm colors, and the delicious pumpkin treats that range from sweet to savory...I could go on and on but enough with my pumpkin obsession...back to the lesson!

We started off the first class period with a discussion about what value is by looking for highlights and shadows on our little orange pumpkin that I had brought to class. After identifying lights and darks, I showed the students how to make a value scale by pressing harder and lighter with their pencils. I also demonstrated how to add value to a drawing by smudging the pencil marks with my fingers. The students then practiced a value scale while also working on an observational drawing in their sketchbooks.


During our next class session together I showed the students a picture of Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama's spotted pumpkin sculpture. We did a visible thinking routine by discussing and interpreting what the students were observing in Kusama's wonderful work. What did they see? What did they think was happening? What did they wonder about the artist? The thoughts, ideas, and questions they had were great, and made for a fantastic jumping off point for our next part of the project.

*photo credit to Google Images*

I gave the students a large piece of paper to design their own pumpkin on. Their pumpkin could have any design they chose, as long as they were drawing large and practicing mixing lights and darks to create value with their paints. Once the paintings were dry, we outlined them with permanent markers. I love the final results and how creative each student was after being inspired by Kusama's work and our class discussion!  







No comments:

Post a Comment