Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pop Art Pizzas

I love Pop Art. What I love even more about Pop Art is teaching it! I always do at least one lesson on this art movement with every grade level, so I am always looking for new ideas. This year I stumbled upon a fabulous blog with this wonderful lesson: Pizza Sculptures so I decided to give it a try!

Before we started the project my third graders and I discussed a few important artists involved with this movement, one being Claes Oldenburg. The students loved viewing and talking about his giant sculptures. When I revealed our next project to the class, they literally cheered.

First the students cut two large triangles of some recycled paper I had been saving. At the beginning of the school year, our overseas supply shipment was delivered. There was so much packing paper leftover that I have giant black garbage bags full of the stuff waiting to be used! (Yay!)

As you can see, we had quite the mess. Paper everywhere!
 After the two large triangles were cut, they stapled both of the sides together leaving the top open. Students crumpled leftover packing paper and stuffed it into the opening. Once the pizza was full, they stapled the opening to form a crust.

The next class period third graders began painting red for the sauce and brown for the crust. When the paint was completed, they began to cut toppings of their choice. The toppings were then glued onto the wet paint.
 Our wonderful pop art pizzas were completed in only two class periods. We had so much fun with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment