Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Maasai Shields

I have been to Kenya Africa a handful of times. I love everything about that country. The landscape, the variety of people, the noisy cities, and most of all the markets and handicrafts. Every time I am able to make the journey, I purchase myself a new piece of artwork. Not only do I enjoy having it, my students enjoy seeing it and experiencing it for themselves.

In my second grade classes we learned about Kenya and all the wonderful things about the country. We also discussed the well known Maasai tribes that live in Kenya. The second graders loved looking at their beautiful fabrics and beadworks.

The students also loved (one of my most prized possessions) the Maasai shield. The shields are made of leather and painted with striking black, white, and red colors. After "oo-ing" and "ahh-ing" over the object, we made shields of our own! Some of my students literally cheered from their seats when they realized what we were making.

My enthusiastic second graders started with a precut cardboard template in the shape of a Maasai shield. As a class we talked about the different shapes and patterns that are seen on these works of art. The students then drew their own patterns and shapes with pencil, later filling it with paint of traditional Maasai colors. 



The finished product turned out great, and no two shields looked the same!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment